Recipe courtesy of Chef John Currence, City Grocery, Oxford, MS.
FOR THE GRITS:
- 1 cup quick grits
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese (white)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- Original TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE SHRIMP:
- 2 cups chopped smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds (20- to 30-count) shrimp, peeled Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced scallions
Cook grits according to package instructions; as they are finishing, whisk in butter, cheeses, cayenne, paprika and TABASCO® Pepper Sauce to taste.
TO PREPARE SHRIMP:
Cook bacon until it begins to brown; remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside. Strain drippings and set aside.
Heat a large skillet until very hot; add olive oil and 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. As oil begins to smoke, toss in shrimp to cover bottom of pan. Before stirring, season with salt and pepper. Stir until shrimp begin to turn pink; let pan return to original hot temperature.
Stir in minced garlic and bacon bits, being careful not to burn garlic. Toss in mushrooms and coat with oil briefly. Add lemon juice and wine, and stir for 30 seconds or so until everything is well coated and incorporated.
WHEN READY TO SERVE:
Stir in sliced scallions and cook about 20 seconds. Serve immediately over the aforementioned, patiently waiting cheese grits. Enjoy, burp, and reminisce about those fine meals at City Grocery.
Makes 3 to 4 servings.